Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Damn Politics...

I rarely try and debate politics. This is for a few reasons. The first of which, people are way too assholish (making up words here) when it comes to their particular beliefs. Secondly, I find that people that lean left or right are nearly impossible to sway (I might be one of those people--but I'm not sure).
I also never try and put my political opinions of Facebook. The same is said about a few other very socially touchy subjects (religion to name another). So if you're reading this, and you got the link from Facebook, I'm opening this up to debate if you want...although, I don't want anything to get too serious that you walk away hating me, or I hating you.
With that said...why are so many people having a stroke over building an Islamic Mosque near Ground Zero in New York City? I suppose an argument could be made if the Mosque was being built on the land where the World Trade Centers used to stand. That argument would work (in my opinion) if you were only going to allow a World Trade Center monument to be built in it's place (which I think is the plan). But the idea that people are angry that a Mosque is going up two blocks away seems odd.
I'm not sure why people are so angry about this, quite frankly, it seems irrational. The Islamic religion is based on the belief that the key to happiness is through love and knowledge through personal experiences. Yet, I wonder why it seems that people feel that this is such a terrible thing to have happen in New York City? It seems like an American thing to do...freedom of religion right?
Michael Bloomberg had a great quote today, "In rushing into those burning buildings, not one asked, 'What god do you pray to? What beliefs do you hold? We do not honor their lives by denying the very constitutional rights they died protecting."
Am I really supposed to believe that if this were going to be a synagogue or church, Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, and everyone else that opposes this would be OK?
Sorry, had the thought, wanted to type it out. That's about all the political debate I can muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment